Friday 18 January 2013

Arena Fun

So I don't have any new pictures of the horses.  I was going to bring my camera but I forgot to charge it and the battery is deader than dead.  I'll try to remember for this Sunday.

Things have been going well.  We go out three times a week now and the ponies are happy to be getting worked more.  Our three guys are happiest when they're getting worked.  We've taken off Socks' blanket for now because it's been pretty warm out and is supposed to stay warm for the next while. 

Tonight we got out to the stable just before seven.  While my mom messed around with our locker, I went out to catch Artemis.  It was dark, but the sky was clear and with the lights from the stable and the neighbours, it really wasn't that difficult to see.  It was actually pretty exciting that I was able to go get her for two reasons.  First, I haven't done much with her on my own since I broke my arm, since she's young and unpredictable, I haven't wanted to take the risk of getting re-injured.  Second, it was night and she's not usually that good at night, and she was perfect.  I had no problems with her despite the dark or the ice.

My ride on Socks tonight was short but good.  We mostly worked on loping on a loose rein.  She was perfect, we didn't have any issues so we ended on that good note. 

I brought Artemis in after unsaddling Socks, just to lead her around and make sure she remembered everything.  My mom was still riding and another woman, D, was walking her horse around to cool off.  The three of us stopped to talk, and Miss Artemis decided that would be a good time to roll.  No joke, she was rolling for close to ten minutes.  She'd roll for a bit, then just lie there, and then start rolling again.  Only when my mom and D left did she finally decide to get up.  Between rolling, she let me scratch her head and ears.  It was the first time since she was a baby that I've been near her when she was lying down. 

As I said, I'll try to remember to charge my camera for sunday.  I went from taking pictures of them everytime we went out to never taking any pictures of them...

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Now that you mention it, I do feel like it's been awhile since I've seen photos of your ponies.

Artemis is too adorable.

Ruth said...

Glad you had a good ride on Socks. Lol Artemis is so cute. Sounds like she trusts you a lot to do that.