Wednesday 21 September 2011

Hugs

We went out to the stable late tonight.  I've been bugging one of my friends to come out and see Artemis for months.  She took riding lessons years and years ago with me, when I first started and while she likes horses well enough, in her own words, she's "too lazy" to come out to the stable.  She finally got sick of my harrassing though, and my mom took us out.  It was already getting dark by the time we got there.  We stopped off to see Jimmy first.  He left his food and came right over to us, even though last time we saw him we not only dewormed him but sprayed stuff up his nose (Strangles vaccination).  I thought for sure he was going to hate us.  I know people say horses don't hold grudges but they've obviously never met this one :).  We didn't stay with him for long and then we went out to the back pasture.  Charlie and EB were annoying like usual and that whole herd followed us over to Socks' herd.  Ebony came right over to us.  Her eye looked runny but it was too dark to see it properly.  She once again chased Charlie away from Artemis and I love her for it.  Cici actually went at Socks and my horse didn't do anything in return but run.  That's VERY strange for Socks.  She came over to check on her baby, let me pet and talk to her for a bit and then left.  I know my horse likes me well enough but sometimes I can't help but wish she was a little bit more sociable. 

Artemis was glued to us while we were out there.  She was in a very huggable mood tonight.  She would come and rest against me just ever so slightly, and then put her head between my arm and my side.  If I stepped back she'd come forward and do it again.  She wasn't pushy and didn't actually put any weight against me.  When we finally left she followed us a bit and when she finally stopped she watched us for a good ten minutes before she finally left and went to join her mother.  We stopped off to visit with Jimmy again briefly and then we left.  We were only out there for just over half an hour but I still loved being able to see them.

On an off note, Socks has a bump on her back.  It's above her hip.  I noticed it awhile ago.  If I press on it or around it, she doesn't react.  It doesn't seem to hurt her but that, along with my concussion, has made it so she hasn't been ridden in a while.  Here's some pictures I took of it last week.



It's hard but not very large.  I'm not sure what it is.

2 comments:

Wolfie said...

A horse came in from the fields last week and had couple of bumps on her side, the size of marbles. It was thought that she may have rolled in some of the thistle plants and some of the thistle thorns were in her skin causing irritation. Do you think the bump of Sock's back could be that? The other things is that, just like dogs, horse can get fatty deposits.

Megan said...

I'm glad I read this post - we bought vaccines the other day, but we left them at someone else's house. I would have forgotten them if I hadn't of read this lol.

Lady is not very social either. You can pat her and everything, but it's obvious she would prefer to be left alone.

At least the bump doesn't seem to be hurting Socks. Hopefully it's nothing.