Sunday 11 September 2011

Ten Years

I was standing on the tarmac at my school, getting in line to go inside and start my day.  I was standing behind two boys and they were talking about planes and fire.  I asked them what they were talking about and they told me about the planes.  I thought they were talking about a video game.  I was ten, I couldn't understand that something that horrible could happen.  They brought us inside our school and I remember seeing groups of teachers standing huddled together, whispering.  They didn't understand any better than we did how this could happen.  I honestly don't remember if we weret old what happened, we must have but I can't remember it.  I remember my teacher asking us if we had any relatives in New York.  If you did, you were sent home.  I don't remember much of that school day but when I got home is when I first saw the footage.  My family watched in stunned silence, frozen in front of our TV, unable to say anything.  That day it wasn't just Americans who were attacked, it was our neighbours, sometimes our family and friends.  It was people like us and although we weren't in the same country, all we did was pray for them. 

I can't remember a lot of the names of people I went to elementary with, but I will never forget the names of the two boys who first told me what happened.  Like everyone else, I will never forget where I was that day.  I pray for all the family and friends of those lost on that day.  May we never forget but I pray that we can heal.

And on another, much lighter note, Kienan Hebert, a little boy abducted from his home in Sparwood BC was safely returned to his parents today.  My prayers are still with his family and I hope that his abducter will be found by the police so that this can't happen again.

1 comment:

Wolfie said...

About 4 days after the attack I was on the phone with a lady in the states, placing an order. As we spoke, she told me that although she had no relatives in New York City, two of her co-workers were missing. We both started crying on the phone, complete strangers. I couldn't talk to anyone at work for the rest of the morning.

I was delighted and relieved to hear about Kienan's safe return.