Sunday 19 February 2012

When I Say Canadian Horse...

I mean this...

Not this...


The first is a Canadian Horse.  The second is a Canadian Warmblood.  I think most people will be able to see the difference between the two of them. 

You wouldn't think that it would be an issue, getting the two mixed up.  However, it's something that happens quite frequently to me.  The reason it comes up is when people ask me what breed Artemis is.  Technically, she's a grade, but I am fortunante to know what two breeds are most dominate in her and so those are what I usually tell people.  Her mother, Socks, is a registered Quarter Horse.  Her sire, Fonda, is three-quarters Canadian Horse.  Fonda's dam, June, was half Canadian half who knows what.  His sire was a registered Canadian Horse (although unfortunantly I don't know his name).  So I generally tell people she's a Quarter Horse/Canadian Horse cross. 

This is the Canadian Horse I mean...



Nine times out of ten, this is the Canadian Horse people think of...

I always politely inform them that Artemis is not a Warmblood, but a Canadian Horse.  They usually smile awkwardly and act like they know the difference.  On very rare occasions, they might actually know what a Canadian Horse actually is.  More times than not though, they don't. 

I find it kind of sad, to be honest.  The Canadian Horse is our national breed.  It was named the "Iron Horse" back in the days and they worked on the farm all week, and then participated in harness races out in the frozen lakes on the weekends.  They are tough as can be and have adapted to survive our harsh winters with no problems. 

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Canadian Warmbloods or Warmbloods in general, they are just not at all what I mean when I say Canadian Horse.  I'm very proud of our national horse, Canadian horses are tough and hardy, exactly what I want and respect in a horse.  To me they have a wild beauty to them.  I love everything about them.  I am very proud of the fact that Artemis has Canadian in her. Honestly, a Quarter Horse/Canadian Horse cross is not what I ever planned to breed...I always planned if I bred Socks to breed her to another Quarter Horse, but since I didn't have a choice, I'm not complaining that it's Canadian in her. 

I just wish we could get more information about the Canadian Horse out there.  It's surprising, how little people know about them.  It seems most people tend to think Canadian Horse just means Canadian Warmblood. 

I hope one day when I tell people what Artemis is, this is what they think of...

5 comments:

Courtney said...

You can definitely see the Canadian in Fonda.

Megan said...

Canadian horses are very beautiful. I personally wouldn't know a Canadian horse if it bit me lol, but they look very nice.

Wolfie said...

I find that so strange that people think Warmblood! I have had people ask what breed Gem is and I have been happy to explain. But in fact, quite a number of people where I live know about the Canadian Horse and recognize that Gem is one. Perhaps it's because where I am located is close to Quebec, where the breed is still popular.

Cjay said...

Megan- It's acceptable that you wouldn't recognize one, you're not Canadian! They're not overly popular outside of Canada.

Wolfie- It really surprises me that Warmblood is what most people think of. I mean, she is only half so you don't look at her and immediatly think she's the perfect example of a Canadian Horse, but she doesn't look Warmblood either. Out here though most people only really seem to know Quarter Horses and Warmbloods.

Megan said...

Haha, sorry for the very late response, but I just wanted to chime in on this one. I think it's kind of sad that people don't know more about the Canadian horse. But I guess the only reason I know about them is because my cousin has a pair she uses for driving. It's also partly because you live in jumper country!!