Wednesday 18 May 2011

Another Day

That's Artemis taking a nap in the barn.  She exhausted herself running away from us today.  Her halter was the only thing holding her up, she was so tired.  She was in a mood tonight because of the flies.  There were so many out tonight, and she hates them so much.  She won't stand still and stamps her feet.  I can't blame her though, they were horrible.  Artemis didn't have to do much tonight, the BO's kids were dying to see her and that's mostly why we caught her.  They sit outside her pen and just watch her all day.  They're not allowed inside her paddock so they've rarely gotten to touch her.  She wasn't too sure about humans even smaller than her touching her, but she calmed down when the daughter helped me brush her. 

I actually spent more time with Jimmy today than her, so I'll include him in here as well.  We caught Socks and Artemis first, so by the time I came back out to catch him, he'd already run all around his field like he always does when we don't catch him first, and was waiting at the gate for us.  He was no problem to catch and was almost perfect while we groomed and saddled him.  He didn't dance around and didn't even give us any hassle about brushing his mane, which he hates with a fiery burning passion.  When I rode him he was perfect.  He chewed on his bit a little bit but he seems to like this bit much better than any of the others we've tried.  I loped him for the first time since they came down at the end of November.  He was so good and comfortable.  I expected him to try and buck, but he seemed to be enjoying himself.  And we had about fifteen laps in total, both directions, and he wasn't even breathing hard.  He's in much better shape than I thought he was.  Today was pretty uneventful, fun, but nothing much happened so I don't have much to say.  Other boarders keep asking me if I'm going to keep Artemis or sell her.  My response is the same, Look at that face, could you sell her?


2 comments:

Wolfie said...

15 laps??!! I am pleased when I do 3 laps around the arena at a lope!

Cjay said...

Ha, I actually find the lope the easiest gait to sit. I'm awful trotting, especially on him. He was very energetic so I just let him go until he wanted to stop.