Tuesday 17 May 2011

Growing Tall and EHV-1

Artemis has been growing like a weed.  Her older sister Cassidy is 13.2 hh at almost two years and our vet doesn't expect her to grow too much more.  Cas was a tiny foal, she barely grew in the first few months.  Artemis on the other hand, is almost as tall as I am at almost a month old.  Not that I'm that tall, (5'1") but still, she's giant compared to what her sister was.  My barn owner thinks she'll be taller than her mother.  Socks is 15.1hh.  Fonda, Artemis' sire, is around 17hh at almost three years old.  It's kind of sad, I hope Artemis doesn't completely take after her father with her height, I'm short, I won't be able to get on her!

Right now her only issue is being caught.  She likes to run circles around her mom, avoiding us.  Once caught, she's great.  She lifts her back feet up for me, I just have to run my hand down her leg, squeeze, and she lifts it up for me to grab.  She's also discovered her voice.  She likes to squeal and whinny at the other horses, or squeal at her mother when she's mad at Socks.  She was in the barn when the new boarders arrived with their horse, and she was perfectly calm with all that activity going on.  The new girl had her whole family there and Artemis got a lot of attention.  I was happy she stayed calm through the whole thing, although she did start to get a little grumpy. 

As I'm sure everyone knows, there's this outbreak of EHV-1, starting from a Cutting show down in the states.  There has been 1 confirmed case of EHV-1 in Alberta, and of course, it's not far from the region my horses are in.  With the arrival of the new horse, I'm freaking out a little bit.  This horse did however, have a vet check right before she came and she was given a clean bill of health.  The Albertan horse who has EHV-1 was confirmed to have been at the Cutting Show, and luckily, we don't have any cutters at our barn.  However, we have a lot of jumpers who travel to shows.  I'm going to be talking to my stable owners tomorrow to find out what precautions the stable is taking.  I hope everyone is being careful about this, it's scary when things like these happens, and I hope the horses are able to recover!

2 comments:

Wolfie said...

Your girl is so cute!

EHV-1 is scary. I didn't realize it had made it's way to Canada. I believe there are some vaccines, but their potency is not long lasting and there can be side effects. I mentioned it to my BO last night. She is actually traveling to a reining competition with two horses from our barn....It's in Ontario, but still makes me a bit nervous!

Cjay said...

Thanks! :)

I'm terrified of it right now, especially since I heard it's an airborn virus. I'm not sure if I should vaccinate for it or not, there is no vaccination for this exact string, but some vets are saying vaccinate with the normal booster, and other vets say not to... I'm not sure what to do