Wednesday 4 May 2011

May the Fourth

We went out to the stable tonight to see Artemis.  We're trying to work with her as much as possible to get her used to the halter and us quickly.  She improves everytime we go out to see her.  She came right over to see us, let us pet her all over and let my mom put the rope around her neck.  Putting the halter on her was a piece of cake tonight.  I put my arms around her and she tried stepping forward, but stopped when my mom held the halter up and just stood as my mom put it on.  She's responding to pressure and stops when she feels the tension on the lead rope.  She let me lead her around the paddock while her mom was eating the hay.  She barely put up a fight, she'd stop a few times but if I waited she kept coming.  She wasn't afraid when we led her out of the pen and she ignored the other horses even though they were pacing and calling, dying to see her.  She wasn't at all afraid in the barn and once again loved being brush.  In the arena I lifted up her feet and she fought that.  She's already so strong.  She let me touch her all over, including her legs and her stomach.  I could touch her ears and move them all around and she just stood there calmly.  Socks was great too, she just stands nearby and every now and then nickers at her daughter as if to reassure her that everything is fine.  We didn't work with them for too long, and then Jimmy came up to the gate to see us.  I think he wants to go riding, he's so much easier to catch now.  He's still skittish but that's Jimmy.  He's going to be moved in with another gelding soon, a sorrel named Devon.  Here's another picture of Artemis for you.  She was at the back of the pen and I was at the top.  The dog is Jay, her and Artemis get along.

No comments: