Sunday 8 May 2011

Meeting Jimmy

Tomorrow Artemis is two weeks old.  She's getting so big, the top of her head is just below my chin now.  Today my brother came out with my mom and I, and I'll admit, I was dying to show her off.  He's only seen her once and I'm so proud of her.  So I rushed her.  I tried to get the halter on too fast and so she gave us a hard time.  I was upset because of course she's been so good, but when I'm trying to show someone how good she is, she misbehaves.  After watching my mom lead her around though, I realized what I'd done and I backed off.  I let my mom work with her while I spent some time with Socks.  Although, even without me rushing her Artemis was in a little bit of a mood today.  It's been raining and storming all weekend and she does not like bad weather.  It's been snow or rain since she was born.  She didn't want to do anything today.

So I decided to ride Socks a bit.  It's been a while since I did and I think Socks is getting bored so I hopped on her bareback.  My brother got on Jimmy and Artemis bounced after her mother and I.  She gets really mad when my leg brushes against her and she tried to kick her mom.  Socks ignores her and just keeps trotting.  Both she and Socks were relaxed with Jimmy and let him come over and smell Artemis.  I expected Socks to be a little more upset but she was fine with it.  Jimmy was perfect too, he smelled her but he didn't do anything else. 

While I was still sitting on Socks my mom was able to lift up all of Artemis' feet.  She didn't really fight and no one was holding her head.  She didn't even have a rope on.  We worked on touching her feet a lot today.  And after our ride when Socks and Jimmy were rolling, she was walking between them, nickering and she looked like she couldn't figure out what they were doing.  By the end of our time at the stable, she was in a good mood, happy and playful.  I wish I  hadn't rushed her but now I know to keep that in mind next time I see her.

No comments: