Saturday 17 March 2012

Such a Patient Pony

I won't lie, I'm a little hesitant to post this.  There are many opinions out there in the horse world and I know some people won't agree with this, but since this is a blog about what I'm doing with Artemis, I felt I should put it in here anyway.

I honestly had no intention of putting a saddle on her when we went out, it was one of those things that just kind of happened.  I was sick so I wasn't going to ride and instead just work with Artemis.  I'm still not really sure how, but somehow this ended up happening.

This is the first time she's ever had a saddle on.  And yes, my english saddle is very light.  She didn't have it on for very long, I led her around the arena a bit with it on and then right before I took it off I took these pictures.  This also doesn't mean she's going to have it put on her everytime I see her.  During this next year I'm planning on getting her used to saddles on her back and all that good stuff, but I have the whole next year to do that.  I'm not planning on cramming it all in the first few months.  She'll also only have the english saddle on her in the beginning because it's the lightest of all the saddles we own.  It'll be a while before she gets my western saddle put on her.

Anyway, now that I have that out of the way, let me talk about her.  She was perfect.  She surprised me yet again.  I put the blanket on her, and she was fine.  I put the saddle on her and she just looked at it and went back to licking the wall.  She did stamp her back foot a bit when she felt the girth tighten around her belly but then she stood perfectly still.  She didn't do anything when I led her around with it, not even when I let the stirrups down and they were bumping into her sides.  In fact, she thought the stirrups were the tastiest things in the world and kept trying to eat them.

The girth is a bit too big for her.  It keeps the saddle in one place on her while we walk and stand but I wouldn't want to go any faster than that.  I kept my hand on the saddle whenever she walked. 

I am very proud of her, she's the calmest horse in the world, I swear.  My mom was riding while she was being led and then M came in with Artemis' boyfriend, Zanza.  Artemis got a little wide-eyed at that but after she smelled him, tried to bite him and then tried to eat his bridle she ignored him. 

One thing I have to say this really made me think about...I can't believe people actually ride babies.  You see ads on Craigslist all the time of people riding horses that don't look any older than Artemis.  I couldn't imagine actually getting on her anytime soon.  I mean, we lean on her and I've stood on the mounting block above her...but there is no way I could get on her.

My next step with Artemis is to get her used to being in the arena while other horses, not Socks and Jimmy, are being ridden.  I'm just trying to figure out which boarders would be good to ask, since a lot of them think being in the arena with Artemis means she will eat and kill them.  For the most part Artemis and I will just be focusing on ground work like usual, and every now and then she'll get to play dress up.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

From what you've said about Artemis, I really do believe you're doing a great job with training her. Obviously I don't have any experience myself, but I can't see what you're doing with her hurting her. Also, she looks so adorable.

Megan said...

Glad to hear Artemis did so well for you. If the english saddle is only very light then I doubt it will do any harm to her. How tall is she now? She sort of looks like she is starting to level out a bit?

Cjay said...

Ally-Thanks! You have to come see her soon, let me know the next thursday you're available!

Megan- She's 13.3hh, the same she's been for a while now. She always looks bigger but she hasn't actually grown in a while. I think the saddle hides how downhill she is right now, without it on you can really tell, it's bad.

Megan said...

Hi! Sorry I haven't been to your blog lately!

I don't think this is going to hurt Artemis. English saddles aren't much heavier than a big winter blanket, which people wouldn't hesitate to put on a baby.