Monday 30 April 2012

Five Day Deworming

It's been raining the past few days.  We chose a horrible time to do this five-day deworming.  Socks also hates the wormer.  I mean, I can't blame her, it doesn't seem like a good experience anyway.  The first two days weren't good at all, Socks-wise.  Tonight we tried to do something different.  This wormer is more liquid than paste so we tried squirting it in her food.  She licked it all up.  It's a much easier way for all of us.

All the indoor horses have been moved outside so Socks now has a new paddock mate.  Streak moved a while ago, I don't remember if I mentioned that.  Now she's in with Feline, a pretty grey mare.  She's pretty nice.  She's at least half Selle Francais if I remember correctly.  Socks is definitly the dominant one, but we all expected that.  There's been only one time in her life when Socks wasn't the dominant one and that only lasted a few days.  That's when we bought Sadie.  Sadie came in, chased Socks off and took over the herd.  Socks stayed by herself for a few days, and then came back and set things right in the herd.  Sadie never challenged her again.

Artemis is doing well, she's been kind of bratty lately.  She's going into Yearling Boot Camp soon to remind her that behaving isn't just for babies, it's still important for yearlings.  She seems to forget that sometimes.  She is doing well besides that though, she's getting really good at backing up.

Jimmy was horrible with his feet but unfortunantly for him, the round pen has been dry enough to use.  I've been waiting for it all winter.  He didn't want his back feet lifted up (that was his new thing) and so into the round pen he went.  He's been much better about it.  Our goal with him this summer is to get him to lunge. 

I know this is a really short update and I promise I'll do a real one soon.  I still need to write about when my sister's co-workers came out.  That was a long day, six long hours of entertaining a six-year-old girl with the horses on a hot day.  I have updates of the horses up at my dad's, although I still haven't been up to see them.  I've been a bad blogger and it probably won't get better for a few more weeks.  I won't be blogging at all next week as I'm gone, but hopefully after that I'll start being better.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

The story about Socks and Sadie made me laugh! What exactly does yearling boot camp consist of?