Sunday 29 July 2012

Battle Scars

Okay, so I finally decided to stop being lazy and actually write about soome updates.  First, and probably the biggest, there are a whole bunch of new boarders and horses at the stable.  A trainer brought along her horses and students a few weeks ago.  Understandably, a lot of the older boarders were a little concerned about this.  Our stable has always been really quiet, not much goes on, and it's so much busier now.  So far it's all going well though and hopefully it stays that way. 

As I said in my last post, Jimmy has a new paddock mate, Zaine.  They're getting along very well.  We've been focusing on ground work with Jimmy, mostly to do with the mounting block.  He's been doing great.  We were also complimented on him and my mom was left speechless.  One of the new boarders said he's a very beautiful horse and my mom had no idea what to say.  Now both of us think he's beautiful, but no one compliments on Jimmy, ever.  In fact, it's usually the opposite (granted that's usually just from family members). 

Socks is good.  Not much to report on her.  Her and I are going to start taking walks around the farm.  I can lead her but not like I used to.  I have to lead her on my left side now so the walks will help us both get used to it.  I always led her on my right side, which would be her left side.  Now with it switched, she doesn't really believe me that she has to stay behind me.

Artemis has been doing great.  Her new big thing is fly spray.  Apparently it's going to eat her.  She's getting much better after it, we make a point of spray her every time we see her.  She's leading much better now.  And growing.  She's just under 14 hands, or she was last time we measured her and she already looks like she grew again.  Her withers are almost as big as I am.  The new trainer said it's crazy to think that in a year her two month old Holsteiner colt could be as big as her.  I think it's crazy that she thinks Artemis could be the same size as a Holsteiner yearling. 

I had another doctors appointment and while it was good, it was very disappointing.  I won't be able to get on a horse for at least another two months, probably more.  I honestly didn't think that'd upset me but it did.  There's no telling when I'll be able to get back on and even then, I won't be able to do much.

We also found out that I actually broke my elbow in three places, not one like I thought.  And the doctor had to break it in a fourth spot to get at the intial breaks.  So counting my wrist, my arm was broken in six spots, five from the fall.

I've been trying to get out more, wearing t-shirts because I came to the conclusion I just cannot wear long sleeves for the rest of my life to cover my scars, no matter how much I would like to.  So, for the first time, and probably the last, I'm actually going to post the pictures of what my arm looked like.  If I can deal with the fact of who knows how many people on the internet seeing my arm, I can definitly deal with a few people in the store seeing it right?  At least that's what I tell myself.

That was the bruise I got from falling off.  This was about two weeks after my fall.  It went all down my arm almost to my wrist. 

That is the scar on my elbow.  It doesn't look that bad anymore, it's not bruised and swollen anymore.  Although because it's not as swollen you can see the screws on my elbow much better.


That's the cut on top of my wrist.

And that's the scar on the bottom of my wrist. 

The moral of this story, don't put your arm out when you fall.  It's not worth it, trust me.  They all actually look better than that, my sister hasn't taken any pictures lately. 

We'll be out at the stable tomorrow and I'm very excited to go take Socks on a walk.  I'm just happy I can at least lead her again.

3 comments:

Carly said...

Hopefully the barn stays peaceful! The trainer and boarders sound nice... but all you need is that one crazy to ruin everything for everyone! I'm glad your arm is healing well :)

Cjay said...

I'm a little worried about that. We've been pretty drama-free so far but everyone is still on their best behaviour. I guess we'll see as the weeks go on.

Courtney said...

Wow, so I just realized I haven't been checking this. I guess I forgot that you can write now with your broken arm...so I'm sorry for not keeping up! I just read all your posts now!

It still amazes me how much you do with the horses, even with your injury. I really admire you for that! It hasn't stopped you at all.

Artemis is getting sooo big. And beautiful. And Jimmy is pretty too. I'm surprised it's taken this long for people to notice!