Thursday 5 July 2012

Ramblings from an Invalid

I've been saving up posts in my head to write.  I've had to talk myself into typing though, it's good exercise for my hand but one of the most frustrating things to do.  I get frustrated quickly with it and just end up stopping so let's see how this goes!  Also enjoy some rare pictures of myself, I'm like pretty much every other girl alive and rarely like a picture with me in it. 

Jimmy and I, he was getting a hug whether he wanted it or not.
I'm not going to get into the whole hospital experience I went through in detail, because frankly it's very long and I don't remember most of it.  T and I ended up at the hospital and I didn't have to wait long to be admitted.  It was pretty busy, a lot of quad accidents, and I remember my nurse telling me it was a relif I wasn't a quad accident.  She used to ride herself, and actually is orginally from the place I live with my mom.  She was super nice. 

They slowly broke in the news to me, not on purpose, but they kept thinking it wasn't as bad as it was.  First they thought it was a dislocated elbow, then maybe a broken wrist.  Then after x-rays (I think I hate x-rays more than anything on the planet) the actual doctor came in to tell me how badly it actually was broken.  He didn't want to do anything for me, other than control pain, because it was so bad.  He sent my x-rays to Red Deer, where they usually send patients, and the doctor there took one look at them and told him he couldn't help me.  Yeah, that was encouraging to hear.

Long story short, they transferred me by ambulance to my home place and I had my surgery the next morning.  All I'm going to say about that is I hate surgery and I hope I never have to have another one.

One thing that has been extremely frustrating is the amount of people telling me to quit riding horses and just generally being around them.  I've been to the emergency room three times, first time when I fell off Socks and broke my pelvic bone, second was for my concussion from Artemis and now my arm.  So yes, I've clearly had a few mishaps with horses but is that truly anymore than anyone else who plays a competitive sport?  My cousin has been in and out of the emergency room more times than I can count for injuries related to soccer and snowboarding.  No one has ever told him to quit soccer or snowboarding.  So why is horses any different?  I've had much less injuries, I mean considering the amount of times I've fallen off and questionable situations I've been in, three trips to the emergency room really isn't that bad.  I'm also well aware of the risks of horses and I've accepted that part of being involved with them means that there's the potential to be injured.

At the hospital they moved me to almost every nurse or doctor I met told me I should quit horses except for two, my main surgeon and one of his doctors who is a rider herself.  When a nurse told me to quit horses in front of her, the doctor just laughed and told her that'll never happen.  I greatly appreciated having her around.


I still have no idea when I'm going back to work or more importantly, when I'll be able to ride again.  People keep asking but I have to wait until my doctor gives me the okay.  It'll be at least until the end of July but I think it'll be longer.  I can't bend or straighten my elbow yet and he doesn't want me starting until the end of July.  That's kind of important for either working or riding. 

We at least have a regular schedule for going out to the stable.  Once during the week and one day on the weekend.  I've become a regular drill sargant and I'm still waiting for my mom to tell me she's had enough and stop taking me.  I'm crazy about Socks being ridden.  I've worked hard this past winter to bring her back into shape after having Artemis and now it feels like it was all for nothing.  Plus for my horse's sake of mind she needs to be ridden regularly. 

Jimmy's main focus is still ground work.  I help out as much as I can but that isn't much.  Artemis is a little brat but I love her.  We're working on her groundwork as well.  Also, have I ever mentioned how I have the best horses?  Okay, probably every horse owner says that but I wouldn't trade my guys for anything.

Socks, my horse with a horrible reputation, is the gentlest horse I could ever ask for.  She'll politely sniff my arm in the sling (I'm convinced she thinks I keep treats in there) but she won't push on it.  When I lead her she follows beside me like a perfect little lady and won't move a muscle as I brush her.  She's always been good but I swear she knows I'm injured.  On the other hand, whenever I got into her pen or Jimmy's, their paddock mates are all over me and it's all I can do to protect my arm from them.

Oh one last thing.  I can't say this enough, I don't blame Thor for me falling off.  People keep asking me that.  No, he was just being himself and I happened to fall off.  Yes, it was a stupid spook and pretty needless but that's life with horses.  I don't hate him, I'm not angry with him  It happens.  I've had stupid falls off of Socks too, I just happened to land wrong this time.

Don't worry, my next posts will be less rambly and more organized. 

3 comments:

Wolfie said...

Glad you are healing. Falls are part of the territory when you ride....and bicycle and ski and roller blade, etc. It's good that you recognize that Thor isn't responsible. I think that horses know when you are not 100% and are more gentle around you. That was the case when I was recovering from surgery and couldn't ride. I would visit Gem and he was sooooo careful and gentle around me. Wish he had continued that after I had completely healed! :-) Have a good weekend!

Carly said...

I'm glad that doctor stood up for you.

Kolijah, one of my geldings reared with me on him once, for no reason. We live in West Virginia and were on the side of a mountain. When he reared he lost his footing and tipped over backwards. i couldn't bail because I would have been jumping down the mountain so I just took my feet out of the stirrups and clung to his neck. the fall was about 10 feet before we hit the ground and then slid about 100 feet with him on top of me down to the bottom. When we stopped he stood up on top of me, (one foot on my hip and the other on my ankle). I was able to kick him off with a free foot.

I rode him back, and ended up having to go to the hospital for 3 broken ribs, a fractured ankle and tail bone, cuncussion, dislocated jaw, and the entirety of my right side from my shoulder down to my ankle was black bruised from where he'd landed on me.

I still own him, and take him out. I hope you heal fast and get to ride again soon! You sound tough. :D

Cjay said...

Wolfie- Thanks! I agree, I think horses realize when you're injured. Some of them at least, Socks is great but the horse in with Jimmy is still pushy and I have to be careful around him.

Carly- Wow, you are much tougher than I am! I can't even imagine that, it's amazing you were able to ride him out of there.