Thursday 5 July 2012

Rest in Peace Scamper

July 4th was a sad day for Barrel Racing.  Charmayne James' great bay gelding, Scamper, died at the age of 35.  Together Scamper and Charmayne won ten consecutive NFR championships, one of them, pictured above, with a bridleless run.  Having been retired, Scamper spent the last 19 years or so living the life a horse should, beside his trusted partner. 

Charmayne James and Scamper were two of my inspirations for barrel racing.  I remember recieving a copy of Western Horsemen magazine and there being a story about them.  Their bridleless run was the coolest thing I'd ever heard and I can only hope to be half as good as they were one day.

Rest in Peace Scamper.  You'll forever be remembered as the greatest barrel horse who ever ran.

3 comments:

Wolfie said...

Lovely tribute. I love stories like this, where the horse gets the retirement he deserves after doing is job for numerous years. Charmayne is a role model for other competitors, showing that these hardworking horses should be treated with respect.

Carly said...

Rest in peace big boy. I remember when I saw the Breyer model of him... that was the whole reason I took up barrel racing. It's like saying goodbye to a part of my childhood. :(

Megan said...

Rest in Peace Scamper. I have so much respect for Charmayne and that horse!